Location: Headland Scotland (Edinburgh)
Salary: from £19,500
Contract Type: Fixed term (6 months with the possibility of extension)
Application Ref: Supervisors (SUP-SC-0618), Site Assistants (SA-SC-0618)
Closing Date: 27th July 2018
We are looking to recruit career-minded archaeologists at Site Assistant and Supervisor level to work on an upcoming projects in Scotland and northern England. Based in the Edinburgh office, this is a great opportunity to join a progressive and growing company engaged with a constant stream of exciting archaeological projects and with an excellent reputation for delivering high quality archaeological work.
Work will primarily involve conducting a range of archaeological evaluations and excavations as well as office-based research and analysis. The ideal candidates should be able to demonstrate both experience and enthusiasm and a willingness to participate in company initiatives.
As a completely independent commercial company there is plenty of scope to utilise existing skills, discover new ones and develop strengths you perhaps didn’t realise you even had. You will encounter numerous opportunities for personal development and depending on the level of work, there may be potential for extension of contracts.
The successful candidates should expect to receive from Headland:
- Continuous support from a proactive management team
- Training in specific archaeological & other skills
Other benefits include:
- A monthly clothing allowance
- Contribution to pension scheme
- Paid subsistence and travel time on field projects
Key skills requirements – Supervisor
You will be expected to take part in a variety of archaeological investigations including field-based surveys, evaluations and excavations as well as office-based research, analysis and reporting. The ideal candidates should be able to demonstrate both experience and enthusiasm and a willingness to participate in company initiatives.
The following criteria are essential:
- Degree level education in a relevant subject or reasonable practical experience
- Driving licence and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Archaeological field work experience preferably on sites of various periods and types
- Experience and understanding of UK commercial archaeology
- Ability to carry out prolonged manual work in an outdoor environment in all weather
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to use own initiative
The following criteria are desirable:
- Supervision of archaeological projects
- Experience of the archaeological supervision of plant
- Experience in managing small to medium sized teams
- Use of Microsoft Office packages
- Membership of the CIfA
Key skills requirements – Site Assistants
Applicants should ideally have at least three months experience in the field and commercial experience would be preferred. However, we will consider candidates with less or with non-commercial experience who can demonstrate they have the right attitude and energy for the job. Relevant European commercial experience will also be considered and we welcome applications from EU Citizens. Candidates should demonstrate an ability to work well within large teams and have a flexible approach to deployment. CSCS card holders are preferred but we can arrange and pay for the test if necessary.
A clean driving licence and membership of the CIfA would be beneficial.
Please send CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference SUP-SC-0618 for Supervisors and SA-SC-0618 for Site Assistants. Postal applications will not be accepted.
Your application must contain the names and contact details of at least two referees.
If you have any queries regarding any aspect of these vacancies please send them via email to email@example.com.