Banner Headland Archaeology IFA logo
 
HomeProfileServicesSectorsNewsContactCareers
Home > Services > Industrial Archaeology > Madelvic works
Kilkenny Madelvic
M74 Verreville
   
   

 

border

Madelvic car works

Madelvic car works, Edinburgh 

Headland Archaeology undertook a detailed survey of the Madelvic Works, a Category B listed group of buildings, in advance of refurbishment as part of the Waterfront Edinburgh Project.

The works were constructed in the 1890s along with offices and generating blocks. The buildings were purpose built to produce the  ‘Electric Brougham’, an electric powered horseless carriage, but in 1900 the Madelvic Motor Carriage Company went out of business.  

The buildings were used as a car factory until the First World War and, after 1925, became a central component of the United Wire Works until 2001. Changing use throughout the 20th century saw the removal of majority of the internal features associated with car production but the character of the building remains largely intact.

 

NENWS&EM&W
Follow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on twitter
 
AchillesConstruction OnlineCBHSMAS
 
Headland Archaeology (UK) Ltd is registered in Scotland. Reg. no. 162974. VAT no. GB671 0123 75
privacy policy

 

home